What does PE look like at Bratton Primary School?
•Every child participates in at least two physical education lessons per week.
•Through science lessons, children are taught the effects that exercise has on the body.
•Specialist sports coaches work with different classes throughout the year, teaching a range of specific sporting skills.
•Every year, all children participate in sports day. The emphasis is on enjoyment, participation and team building, with elements of competitiveness.
•We are developing strong links with a wide variety of outside clubs.
•We take part in inter school games.
Why is PE important?
At BPS, we value Physical Education. WE ARE ATHLETES! Our high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. Our curriculum provides opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. We provide opportunities to compete in sport and other activities, build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect. Our PE curriculum develops team work and drive to achieve the best that you can be and encourages a healthier lifestyle.
How is our PE curriculum offer delivered and enhanced at Bratton Primary School?
- We Raise aspiration through children having no limits to what their ambitions are and grow up wanting to be personal trainers, nutritionists, sports journalist or gold medal winners!
- We want our children to use the vibrancy of our great town to learn from other cultures, respect diversity, co-operate with one another and appreciate what they have.
- We achieve this by providing a strong SMSC curriculum, with British Values and our core values placed at the heart of everything we do.
- We improve vocabulary through giving us another way to express ourselves and describe how our bodies feel. We promote our health and well-being through ‘healthy body, healthy mind’.
- During PE sessions and also through science we learn about the effect exercise has on the body, the importance of exercise and a healthy lifestyle, including the need to warm up and cool down.
- P.E. is also said to improve concentration levels as it can induce different states of alertness and bring us happiness.
- P.E. empowers our children to have self-belief, become independent and resilient, all of which are at the heart of our Bratton Values.